Chewy Granola Bars


Last night, the mister asked if I could make some breakfast bars for him to take on his walk into work. A quick search on Pinterest landed me here at Joyful Abode. I was looking for a very chewy granola bar that used the kind of healthful ingredients we like in our house. 

I make a lot of granola (bars or cereal). So I'm always looking for new techniques in making it, since the main ingredients are pretty much the same across the board. This recipe intrigued me because it was only the second one I have made that didn't bake the bars once the ingredients were combined. The first no-bake recipe I tried turned out awesome, but had a very rich raw flavor the mister wasn't crazy about. This time around was a success with the man! 

This recipe calls for you to toast the dry ingredients in your oven first, then mix them up with the wet ingredients to get that ultra chewy texture without the raw flavor. I really liked the result. Definitely chewy. The process of toasting the dry ingredients first gave them a yummy roasted flavor that I really liked. 

I adapted the original recipe slightly, and listed my ingredients below. But you should head on over to Joyful Abode to see her awesome step-by-step instructions and photos (how do these women bake and snap photos at the same time? I'm a mess when baking!). 

Happy Friday, everyone!


Chewy Granola Bars

        2 cups oats
         3/4 cup ground flax seed
         3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
         1 cup peanuts, crushed
         1/2 cup sugar
         1 Tbsp molasses
         1/2 cup honey
         4 Tbsp butter
         2 tsp vanilla extract
         1/2 tsp sea salt
         1 cup dried fruit

      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
To crush your peanuts, put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a heavy mallet, measuring cup, or sauce pan (I must say, I did enjoy this part!).

Then, mix the peanuts, oats, flax seed, and coconut flakes in a baking dish with sides. Toast them in the oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes so that they don’t get burned.
Meanwhile, prepare an 11 x 13 glass baking dish for your granola by lining it with waxed paper lightly greased with butter.
Put the molasses, sugar, honey, butter, vanilla, and sea salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
Remove the grains from the oven and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the granola into your prepared baking dish, spread out evenly with a spatula, then press firm with another sheet of wax paper on top to get a really good seal (I reused all the wax paper the wrap up the bars at the end. I'm cheap like that!)
Let the granola rest for a couple of hours to cool and firm up.
Lift the granola out of the baking dish using the wax paper to guide it to a cutting board.
Cut up into squares or bars. You can leave them in the pan, or wrap them individually for quick snacks later on. 


Update: Message from a dear friend, Lisa: "I learned that ground flax seeds (purchased that way) are almost of no nutritional value...you must grind them yourself. Did u know? So I purchase them ~dirt cheap in a gallon container and have a separate coffee grinder just for them. I also like the milder flavor of brown over golden..anywhoo~ I'm sure you know all this...just wantd to pass along.. I will surely try this recipe as I am always on the hunt for better ways to use oats...." Great tip! I did know this somewhere in the empty caverns of my head, but had forgotten. Thanks Lisa!!!



I included this photo mostly for the amazing bed face in the background. 

Comments

  1. Well I got a better idea just come up here and bake your Dad some. Then I can see my granddaughters faces while they try them out. Love you all. Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts