Homemade Peanut Butter Cups


I had one of those reflective moments this morning. I was remembering this time last year. The mister was still in Afghanistan, he had been gone almost five months. While he was working around the clock in a dusty, hot dessert, getting meals when he could, I had developed quite a bad habit of munching and eating around the clock! In the evenings I was most likely to be found sitting on my chair in front of the computer waiting to talk with the mister, bag of Tim's Salt and Vinegar chips in one hand, a wash clothe to wipe the grease from my fingers in the other. Needless to say, my girlish figure took a hit while the man was gone. It's not rocket science, too many evenings alone with potato chips will never end well. Once I finally stepped on the scale and realized the pickle I had got myself into, I decided to get to work before the mister returned home in June. 

Well, skipping to the end, I dropped twenty before his homecoming, and another ten pounds after that! I got back to pre-kids weight and then even smaller. Nothing magical, more fruits and veggies, fewer breads and carbs. I hit the gym three times a week, minimum. Oh, and no snacking after dinner! 

Now, I keep better track of my weight and also try to make smarter choices for meals. Thankfully, I haven't gained any of the thirty pounds back, even with the move down here. But, I also have not gone back to eating like I used to. I just try to keep things in perspective and try not to use my tum-tum as a garbage can for junk!

I must say, though, walking the grocery aisles, filled with Easter candy, still tempts me to take a few steps backwards. I swear I can smell the chocolate through those plastic bags! It isn't the one peanut butter cup that kills you. It's looking down and seeing half the bag gone.  

I have this past year become an avid recipe hunter, using Pinterest to keep track of healthful, wholesome alternatives. Here is one sweet little gem I found there last week and I had the urge to make this afternoon with the kiddos: 


All the ingredients are wholesome and good for you: Honey, dark chocolate cocoa powder, coconut oil, real butter, and all natural peanut butter! YUM! I made mine in my mini-muffin tin, and after freezing them for 15 minutes I used a butter knife to pop them out. If you want some sweets without the bad stuff, give this one a go. 

I may not be eating a bag full of Reese's Cups this Easter, but I have no problem indulging in a couple of these chocolate wonders. Oh, and in case you were wondering, this girls loved them, too! I am thinking of wrapping some up in wax paper, tied with string, as little Easter gifts for the girls. Wouldn't that be lovely? Or maybe, we will eat them all before I ever get around to it. That would be lovely as well!


Comments

  1. You did an awesome job - I love your pictures! I am glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your awesome recipe! It was delicious! Even my husband loved them!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I made them this week too and we loved them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy! Love the simple ingredients!

      Delete
  3. Ok...this post totally cracked me up. I laughed through the whole section about you & the chips...and the washcloth. LOL! Oh dear. Good for you, girl! 30 lbs is A LOT! ;o) Whole eating is so much more filling and fulfilling...we've been moving that way for a while and I think I'm finally gaining ground with Rohn! Now there's something to celebrate!

    Will definitely give these a try. They look delicious and just enough to satisfy the sweet craving. Love your updates...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, you weet thing! Thanks for the encouraging words. Glad I could give you a laugh! I remember back in college when Karen and I would eat that cheese from a can! Haha! Times have changed for sure! Whole foods all the way!!

      Delete
    2. I haven't completely given up "cheese" in a can yet. I get it once a year in my Christmas stocking!

      Delete
    3. I would hope, dear Kare, that some would would always remain the same. You are a one-of-a-kind girl!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts