Sweet Potato Fries

It's Saturday night, again. Saturday night dinner has always been a mystery to me. The dinner itself must be so many things. Nothing fancy, something fast, requires few dishes and little planning. Sometimes I get myself into trouble by ignoring Saturday night dinner. It's Saturday for goodness sake! But, somehow or other, dinner time always comes around and it always makes its way to the table.

So, tonight I asked the mister if he would like burritos for dinner (inwardly congratulating myself on coming up with a meal that fits all my parameters).

A moment of pause. "Hmmm...How about FIVE GUYS?" he says to me.

Are you kidding me? No. Absolutely not! I can make burgers better than those perfectly moist and sloppy patties filled with yummy goodness topped with all things falling from heaven! And the fries. Don't get me started.

OK. Fine. I can NOT compete with FIVE GUYS. I know it. The man knows it. But that little snarky dinner recommendation was enough to send me to my thinking cap and figure out a way to make burger and fries that tops Ye Ol' Cinco Tipos!

Sweet Potato Fries! Ha! Take that FIVE GUYS! The mister loves sweet potato fries. They are like the third child we never had, that smells so good and tastes even better. Ha, again! Wait. That simile just went terribly wrong.

Anyway, I commenced to the kitchen and started peeling the sweet potatoes.

Here is my simple little recipe. You could whip these up or google some other great recipes out there. They are easy and delicious and they aren't sold at, you know, that other guys place.


SWEET POTATO FRIES


serves four
40 minutes


2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/4 in. sticks)
2 T olive oil
1 t cumin
1 t oregano flakes
1 t sea salt (and extra for sprinkling)
1 t parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (I don't know why I added this, but I liked it)
Sprinkling of fresh ground pepper to your liking


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease two baking sheets.
In a small bowl combine cumin, oregano, salt, parsley, nutmeg, and pepper. 
Put sweet potatoes in a pile directly on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Use hands to toss until all pieces are well coated.  Sprinkle fries with seasoning mixture and toss again with hands to coat. 
Arrange sweet potatoes in a single layer so that pieces are not touching each other (I feel like this is the most important tip. If they are touching, all the sides will not cook evenly and they will be mushy).  
Place pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes.  Use a metal spatula to gently flip fries and then return pan to oven. 
Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until fries are starting to brown and crisp.  
Remove pan from oven and cool 5 minutes.  
Serve immediately.

They were pretty awesome. Notice I am not blogging about the burgers. There is just no competing.  But, the fries were pretty delicioso! Hope you all enjoyed your Saturday night, loving on your families, reading a book, or cozying up with some decaf and a movie. I am off to finish watching the Swan Princess with my two little ones before books and bedtime. Goodnight!

Comments

Popular Posts