Monday, June 27

My Jewelry Box

Yesterday, my mom and I were chatting away at a garage sale about how un-girly we can be. Growing up, I never remember EVER seeing my mother where jewelry and makeup was always kept to a minimum. She never carried a purse, but as a teacher, she did always lug around a large brown attaché we kids logically named: The Brown Thing (probably not the best name, but it makes for a smiley memory).

Once, when asking if I could pierce my ears, she responded, "Dear, if you pierce your ears, the only thing people will ever look at are your ears." I swallowed that one whole. (Looking back, and now having my own chillins, I realize the tactic my mom was using, and hold no grudge for this little fibster). 

This chat made me acknowledge I have changed a bit since being married for almost eight years. Before marriage, I really did do it all like my mother. I felt awkward with purses and rarely wore jewelry (my first ring was my engagement ring), and I wore very little makeup. I remember the mister proudly declaring to his buddies that his fiance would never want jewelry, she doesn't even have pierced ears! He had officially found the perfect woman. I won't argue with that sentiment, although I have diverged from that girl he hitched eight years ago. 

I still don't wear much makeup, and I still don't have pierced ears. My only ring is my engagement ring and wedding band. I own one purse and find it to be too big, since I never know what to carry in it. But, I found that I did actually, kinda, sorta, like fun, unique jewelry! I like picking up pieces at thrift stores and antique shops. I finally had enough pieces, that I needed a place to put them and keep them organized. 

After my youngest ripped apart two pairs of glasses within a one-month span, I new I wanted to keep the jewelry up high and out of the way. I decided, since we didn't have much art in the bedroom, that I would go ahead and hang it on the wall. I found on unused frame in the hallway closet, and voila! A little jewelry holder that keeps everything visible and tidy. 


ps. Those two turquoisey necklaces and the jade pearls were a gift from the mister that he purchased from an Afghanistan bazaar! Love them! He always impresses me with his thoughtfulness and love. 

2 comments:

  1. Been meaning to do this for some time with my "chunky" jewlery. I can totally see this expanding into a few more frames keeping colors grouped. Does make for some very nice art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slick idea. Makes me think about a LARGE collection a certain someone has under the bed...

    ReplyDelete